Stay Active with these 16 Live Virtual Workouts
We’ve all had to get creative in our response to social distancing and quarantine. On the positive side, we’ve got plenty of free time on our hands. On the negative for many of us, we’ve lost jobs and income. There’s not much good to say about that, but if you’re ready to turn lemons into lemonade there’s never been a better time to whip yourself into shape. All you need is some inexpensive at-home exercise equipment and a little bit of floor space, and you’re good to go.
As a bonus these days, with gyms closed and personal trainers out of work, many have responded by moving their expertise online with free virtual workouts. You can now get the instruction and motivation you need without memorizing your own strength training exercises.
Many of the apps and sites in the list below were originally paid services that are now available for free or at least with extended free trials:
- 24-Hour Fitness — the 24GO app offers 1,500+ free workouts. The 24GO live stream features live-streamed workouts and live-moderated training sessions. It’s all offered for free, for now.
- Active by POPSUGAR — a digital fitness app featuring full body strength training, yoga, HIIT, and more. Subscription fees are waived for now.
- barre3 — Online barre classes for full body workouts with plenty of options for class length and intensity. Paid, but with a 15-day trial.
- Barry’s Bootcamp — Follow on Instagram for twice daily, live-streamed 20-minute HIIT sessions.
- Blink Fitness — Free virtual workout sessions airing Monday through Friday at 8 a.m. ET on Facebook Live. HIIT, bodyweight exercises, and stretching.
- CorePower — Combines yoga flow with hand weights and cardio, along with more traditional yoga classes. Paid, but offers free access to sample workouts.
- Crunch Fitness — Crunch now offers an online Crunch Live workout portal featuring over 100 workouts (dance, yoga, pilates, barre, kickboxing, etc.). Free for 45 days for non-members.
- Gold’s Gym — Gold’s Gym has over 600 workouts available, free to members and non-members. Choose from bodyweight, HIIT, core strength, Fit Over 50, bootcamp, and selections from Les Mills. Digital coaching is also offered.
- Les Mills On Demand — Speaking of Les Mills, you can go straight to the source of your favorite BODYPUMP, BODYCOMBAT, and BODYBALANCE workouts with a free 14-day trial. They offer 13 programs and over 800 workouts.
- Nike Training Club — Access to the Nike Training Club Premium app is free during this time of corona. Choose from bodyweight-only workouts, yoga, targeted training, and full equipment workouts for all levels.
- Orangetheory Fitness — The popular training program is now accessible through a collection of free daily workouts. You’ll need to download the app.
- Peloton — Don’t have one of their fancy bikes? No problem. Peloton offers yoga, bootcamp, stretching, and strength training in thousands of live and on-demand classes. Membership is $12.99/month, but you can get a 90-day free trial.
- Pilatesology — Tailor your pilates workouts according to time, skill level, and equipment on hand. You get everything from beginning mat classes to Reformer work (but who’s got a Reformer lying around the house?) A 14-day free trial is available.
- Planet Fitness — Check out the Planet Fitness Facebook page each day at 7 p.m. ET for free live streamed workout.
- Rumble Boxing — Cardio boxing and bodyweight exercises stream live on Instagram at various times daily. No mitts or bags required.
- YMCA — The YMCA now offers on-demand exercise programs including barre, bootcamp, yoga, and more. It’s all free for now even to non-members.
This is all just a sample of what’s available now for live virtual workouts. As always, you can probably also find what you’re looking for on YouTube. And for another head start, here’s a huge list of even more free streaming workouts you can do from home.